Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Palais De Tokyo: I love giant art

Aurelie and I went to the Palais De Tokyo to share a late dinner and decided to venture into the museum.  Now in general, I am not really a "modern" art fan.  I really don't 'get' drawing a single line on a canvas and regarding it as great, however I do 'get' mass scale art and I love it.  For instance, Anish Kapoor blew me away in Australia.  The massive scale of what he creates is breathtaking and overwhelming at the same time.  Most Americans are most familiar with his Cloud Gate piece AKA "The Bean" in Chicago. However, I actually think its one of his least magnificent. I super encourage you all to google Anish Kapoor and take a look at the images of his work.

photo credit: google images


Palais De Tokyo was showing the Novelles Vagues exhibit (New Waves).  Most of the pieces in this exhibit were large scale featuring 21 international curators from 13 countries.

"Going Away" was my absolute favorite piece.  They were mylar-looking balloons, but they were all latex.  They were affixed to the ground by strings and lifted by helium (I think), but swayed when you walked near them.  Oddly enough, the French are super lenient in most museums and let you walk through, touch and photograph everything.  So Aurelie and I walked in and out of the balloons taking photos and watching them sway with our movement.

"Going Away taps into an innate desire for escape, a jealousy of helium’s ability to leave the confines of our atmosphere while we remain bound by gravity."  http://www.palaisdetokyo.com/en/exhibition/going-away

Going Away

Aurelie playing in the balloons



This psychedelic skate boarding rampy thing was also super fun. I was standing off to the side taking photos when I saw a little boy playing on it, so I kicked his ass off and did a photo shoot of my own!!!

Scram, sucka!

Levatation

The Gordian Knot was another one of my favorite pieces as well. It was totally rad, they took slivers of bark and weaved them into a tree form and married it with some natural beams and some that were created for aesthetics.


"Creating a spectacular and invasive Gordian Knot, Henrique Oliveira plays with Palais de Tokyo’s architecture, allowing a work that combines the vegetal and the organic to emerge. The building itself becomes the womb that produces this volume of “tapumes” wood, a material used in Brazilian towns to construct the wooden palisades that surround construction sites." http://www.palaisdetokyo.com/en/exhibition/monographic-exhibition/Henrique-Oliveira


Henrique Oliveira. Baitogogo 


There were other cool exhibits as well that did not involve mass scale installations.  One that comes to mind was a pair of works that involved headphones dangling from the ceiling.  Aurelie loved the first exhibit, I the second.  The first exhibit had 6 light boxes that you put your entire head into and put the headphones on, depending on which box you stuck your head in, you had either a man or a woman whispering niceties at you.  Now, you can image this was completely lost on me since I don't understand French. It was just someone sounding sexy in my ear, but for all I knew they were telling me I smelled like an ogre. On top of that, I picked the wrong box and got a chick whereas Aurelie got a dude.  Apparently, he was saying "you are beautiful.... you are irresistible... etc." She stayed in that box for a good 5 minutes whereas I moved on, if I wanted chicks whispering sexy shit in my ear that I don't understand, I'd go up to Montmartre and at least accompany it with a drink and a show.

While Aurelie was getting her rocks of listening to some sexy (probably not so in real life) Frenchman whisper sweet nothings in her ear, I ventured over to the other exhibit.  Again, there were headphones dangling, but this time it was over a vintage vanity with a hinged 3-fold mirror in front.  As you sit, you look at yourself, then some man whispers sweet somethings into your left ear.  It is so freaky, its like he's standing right next to you... then you hear footsteps behind you... and then he starts whispering in your RIGHT ear.  Now, again, much of this was probably lost on me since I didn't know what he was saying, but it was super creepy.  It might have been sexy if I could understand him, but instead, it was just creepy.

On my way home, I saw that the Eiffel Tower was sporting a new dress.  Tonight, she was wearing green.





No comments:

Post a Comment