Friday, July 19, 2013

Bastille Day 2013

They raised the French flag on the Eiffel Tower for Bastille Day

Bastille Day is absolutely amazing.  The actual Bastille Day is July 14th, however the parties and celebration actually begin on the 13th.  Bastille Day is a national holiday for the French to symbolize the uprising of the modern nation and reconciliation of the monarchy during the French Revolution.

Bastille Day is marked with a military parade that runs from the Arc de Triomphe to the Place de la Concorde.  Apparently, they were practicing for the Bastille Day air show the day they woke me up in the park, so I got an advanced preview. Unfortunately, Jette and I chose not to go to the parade since it would be quite crowded and instead went up to Montmartre to check out the flea market, hang out in the park and get some ice cream before she departed. 



Ice cream in front of the Eiffel Tower.  

one last nap in the park for Jette

The French police weren't messing around. They closed off a 6 block radius of the Trocadero and Eiffel Tower so that they could set up the fire work pyrotechnics.  There were armed guards that were demanding rerouting of pedestrians and even requiring credentials to get into streets and buildings adjacent to those areas. I did not have credentials, but they let us in after I explained that I was renting.  The police officers actually followed us to our building to make sure we entered.

Unfortunately, Jette  had to leave on an 8PM flight, so she missed the spectacle.  I did have a meet-up group invitation with some other people that were new to Paris so when Jette left, I showered up and joined the meet-up group.  The group was super fun and we moved from a casual introduction dinner to 
Le Bal des Pompiers.  Le Bal des Pompiers is a party at the fire station.  Apparently, during Bastille Day and the day prior, all of the fire stations open up their station to the public to enjoy live entertainment, dancing, DJs, booze and military men in their uniforms.

During the day, the Meet-up girls and I shared a bottle of champagne and danced a bit.


New in Paris Meet-up girls!

Dancing in the daylight

French firemen...
My French friend, Aurelie and I at le Bal des Pompiers


Champaign?  Oui merci!
However, after seeing the spectacle surrounding the streets of the Trocadero, I was dying to see the fireworks so I left the ball with a new American friend, Marie to watch the fireworks from her friend's office rooftop.

Marie and I on the rooftop

Her friends were super hospitable sharing wine, cheese and PRINGLES...LOL.
Here was our view!!

Paris Skyline at dusk (10:15PM)


Only 15 more minutes to go...


The fireworks were unlike anything I have ever seen before.  The entire thing was like an American 4th of July grand finale.  The French blow away any firework show I have ever seen.  The grand finale looked like bombs were blowing up the Eiffel Tower.


Under attack???


Le Bal des Pompiers was so much fun that we had to go back.  I had though it would be super crowded judging by the queue out front, but the queue went quickly and there was plenty of space for everyone.  And ooh were the military in full force.  There were seamen, army guys, paratroopers from the foreign legion and I'm sure there were other divisions too.  But, since I don't speak French, I smiled and nodded a lot and held out my glass for a refill of champagne over and over and over again.  We tried on hat after hat and danced the night away....


T-R-O-U-B-L-E : American-Frenchie sandwich



Marie left her mark on this guy's cheek all night long!

American invasion in France



This guy has done 3 tours and had a fancy navy blue beret and 3 medals but only spoke like 5 words of English, we pretty much pantomimed for 5 minutes. ca va?  Oui, ooh vous?  Oui.

Wasted paratrooper from the foreign legion
I love that this picture looks circa 1940!
Marie with a very nice old man...
"Nice" old man = creepy old man.  I went for the cheek, he turned his head and laid one on me.  
Gross!  But amazing.  I got face raped by a 70 year old man in Paris.
Jette, I'm so sorry you left early, you could have had a piece too :)


3 comments: