Saturday, July 6, 2013

An American (idiot) in Paris


Funny story... I got lost in my apartment building yesterday.  The doorman walked me to my apartment and I made note of which door was mine since they are not numbered, however, I followed him blindly from the elevator to my door and when I returned from my Wimbledon viewing in the park, I went down the elevator and tried every door in the corridor. They all opened to garbage chutes, electrical rooms, and other miscellaneous storage, except for the door that was locked.  I pushed down the handle and the door wouldn't budge. I even threw my hip in it a little. What they heck? Did I need a key to get in?  So I walked upstairs and told him I was lost (in pantomime, since he speaks as much English as I do French).  He walked me back down through the "locked" door, which he opened without fuss.  I thanked him (merci bocoup) and went on my way.  

When I returned from the Arc de Triumph, later, I went down the elevator and to the "locked" door.  I could not get it open... what the hell was the trick?  Seriously, there was no way I was going to ask him to help me again. The trick....is that you need to pull, not push the door.  I am so stupid and embarrassed and think it is hilarious.  Welcome to Paris, you dumb American.

3 comments:

  1. What a crazy story, glad you finally figured it out. We don't want you giving American's an even worse reputation in France. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just drink some French champagne. You'll figure it out after a few glasses. Xo

    ReplyDelete