Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Austin in Paris??

I've found the "keepin' it weird" of Paris.  Its called The Last Bar Before the End of the World and I love it here.
Le Dernier Bar Avant La Fin du Monde www.dernierbar.com/en/


This is a bar/coffee shot that was recommended to me from a new French friend, Aurelie.  It caters to geeks and creative types like writers, artists, gamers etc.  In fact, if this place existed in the United States it would live in Austin, TX or perhaps Venice Beach or the still hipster parts of Culver City or Silverlake, CA.



What do I like about this bar?
1. There is an entire wall of board games and books to read.  You are encouraged to hang out here, not just drink and dine.
2. Its fuckin' weird.  The furniture consists of cheap bistro tables and couches stolen from Sherlock Holmes' apartment.  Plus someone may have gone to Ikea and gotten some square ottomans on sale....not enough seating... don't worry... there are dozens of folding chairs with red velvet cushions for you and your friends to grab and create a space of your own.
3.  Its eclectic.  Yes, they are trying to be eclectic, but it is totally working.  There is a giant Gremlin...not gizmo....a gremlin standing on the bar with Kermet the frog's leg in his mouth.  There is sci-fi playing on the TV and the soundtrack of some sic-fi thriller playing overhead.  This place is not trying to quiet the weird, its purposeful but not overwhelming.

What do I see when I look around?  I see really good people.  The kind of people that are not trying to be seen but exist wholly in the company of their friends because they are interesting and they want to hear what they have to say and spend meaningful time with them while playing nerdy sic-fi card games (some weird variation of magic, I think).  There is a troupe of twenty-somethings playing spot it (an amazing Memory-like game for adults) and dozens of people drinking and eating engrossed in conversation. 

I tipped the waiter, because I really liked him and I really like this bar and he lied to me and told me my French was good.  He then told me (in French) that its tradition to ring the bell when you tip the waiter. Obviously, I didn't understand, so we spent the next two minutes pantomiming and using our respective limited vocabulary to come to a consensus with how I should proceed upon exiting the bar.  Oh I love the French...Oui! Oui!

*I thought he was saying he wanted to buy me a shot with the tip I gave him.  LOL.  

OK, I gotta go, I have a tennis date. Au Revoir!





1 comment: