Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Austin by boat

What makes Austin so attractive is that there are a few lakes that you can lay out at and if you're lucky enough to have a friend with a boat (holler John!), it amplifies the experience ten fold.  However, what I was about to experience today, was again unexpected and amazing.  After a grueling day of errands - breakfast at Annies, post office, bank, UPS, and a booking my flight home from Africa, John picked me up for a boat tour of Lake Travis.  (Oops I forgot to eat lunch - a granola bar and an apple would have to do - oh, no wait, John and I had to stop for beer.... lunch is served... with sequins coozies, I might add.


The boat was super fun. It was a 21 foot Sea Ray, perfect size for cruising with a couple of good friends.  We anchored out at Hippie Hollow, which I learned is clothing optional!  Apparently, there are undrawn boundary lines for straights, couples, lesbians, bears, twinkies and anchored boats.  We pulled up to the anchored boats section amidst a plethora of naked dudes. Apparently, this is the place to be on weekends, but on Mondays, you trade wild partying and visual stimulation for a touch of serenity and ball jiggling, dancing 60 year old men singing loudly to Celine Dion and Adele.  They were having the time of their lives and thus, so were we.
Clothing optional!

I'm not sure what the rules are so I added some NSFW coverage.
Psych!  I couldn't do it with John there...

Losing track of time, 5 hours later, we went to the Oasis to watch the sunset and indulge in more Mexican food...and some prom-esque posed pictures with the sunset highlighting the horizon and the uncharacteristically low water levels created by the past few years' drought.




Drained by my hard day of errands, boating and sun-bathing, I went to bed early at 11pm.  I have been in Austin 2 days and have still not seen any live music or art.....until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment