Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Ampelmann or bust...

Berlin has an amazing pedestrian walk symbol.  He is called Ampelmann.  It's a nostalgic survivor of East German tyranny and guides pedestrians safely across the street 24-hours a day.  Germans are so regimented and obedient that they ALWAYS wait for Ampelmann to tell them to cross the street.  In fact, you can identify a local versus a tourist by who crosses an empty street against the recommendation of Ampelmann.  Even at 3AM, if Ampelmann is instructing you not to cross by stretching out his illuminated red arms, the Germans stay put.  My first day in Berlin, I defied him several times.  Eventually however, I too, obeyed Ampelmann fully.  Ich halt nur for Ampelman.  (I stop only for Ampelmann)

I love him, I love him, I love him.
Rumor has it, there is an Ampelgirl with pigtails.  Ich muss ins Dresden besuchen. (I must visit Dresden)

No comments:

Post a Comment